II International Workshop of Scenography
From August 8 to 18, 2017
Director: to be confirmed
Teaching Staff to be confirmed
The Summer Workshop is born of a way of understanding Architecture and Landscape from a humanistic spirit. The coexistence in a space and time of different creative disciplines creates synergies for mutual enrichment between the parties.
The workshop is designed following four main ideas that articulate the program:
- Competition Format: Closed exercises that condense a complex process within a specific time frame
- Transversality: An integrative interdisciplinary approach
- Sharing: Shared creativity fostering the capacity for dialogue
- Experience: Understanding derived from observation, participation and experience
Creativity must be at the origin of the concept, present at the initial moment where we give answer to the question we are asked, and should be shared by all Scenography creates ephemeral spaces that due to their short life must express, without concessions to doubt, an intention, an idea. Space expresses, in short, a way of understanding a human story.
The Program consists in
- Creative Atelier. The workshop offers a brief approach to the elements that surround scenography: dramaturgy and poetry, ideas and images, illustration and plastic expression, intuition and craft, actor and spectator. It also reflects on the analogies and contrasts between scenography and architecture and will deal with the items of Space and Void. The Creative Atelier includes intern lectures, weekly reviews by RCR Arquitectes, and the optional participation in a module of the Dance Program for exploring the relation between body and space.
- Open Program. An exhibition, a cycle of conferences and parallel activities, open to the public.
- Site visit. Visit to constructed work by RCR Arquitectes.
- Creative Atelier, from Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Open Program, from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Site visits, Saturday, August 5 and 12, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Teaching Load: 90 hours.
- Creative Atelier, 76,5h.
- Open Program, 9h.
- Site visits, 4,5h.
The workshop will take place in the Barberí Space, Calle Fontanella 26, 17800 Olot (Girona), Spain. The space is conditioned to develop the course.
Spanish is the common language. We recommend a basic knowledge of Spanish.
English is the second official language of the Summer Workshop. Those participating without knowledge of the Spanish will receive assistance during the Creative Atelier and the site visits. Consecutive interpreting of conferences is foreseen for the Open Program.
Participants of the II International Workshop of Scenography will receive a certificate issued by RCR BUNKA Fundació Privada.
Requirements for your application to be considered:
- Profile: The workshop is aimed at persons over the age of 18 years from all creative areas.
- Computer skills: Recommended: AutoCAD, Photoshop, InDesign.
- Online form: Submission of the online form with all details of the candidate.
- Portfolio: Online submission of the portfolio including curriculum information in pdf format (max. 3 MB), with the file named as follows: portfolio-name-surname1-surname2.pdf.
- Full documentation: Applications that do not provide all the requested documentation will be excluded from the selection process.
- Admission: The submission of the application form does not guarantee the direct entry to the program. All candidates will be part of the selection process.
Applications for registration: until Friday, May 12, 2017
- Selection criteria: for the selection of participants will be considered the information on the online form and the portfolio.
- Selection of participants:
- First Call: until Friday, May 26, 2017. Communication to participants admitted, not admitted and on waiting list.
- Second Call: until Friday, June 9, 2017. Communication to participants on waiting list.
- Communications: All communications will be via e-mail.
Tuition Fee of 475 Euros.
The amount of the tuition fee is possible thanks to the collaboration of different public and private institutions, and companies, and is therefore subsidised.
- Tuition Fee: The tuition fee amounts to a total of 475,00 Euros, and
- includes the participation in the creative atelier, the access to the Open Program and the site visits. It includes also a civil responsibility insurance, transportation to the site visit and a party at the end of the Summer Workshop.
- does not include accommodation and maintenance of the participants. The participants will have to bring their own laptop.
- First payment:
- Participants admitted in the first call will make a first non-refundable payment of 175,00 Euros until Friday, June 9, 2017.
- Participants on waiting list admitted in the second call will make a first non-refundable payment of 175,00 Euros until Friday, June 23, 2017.
Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- Second payment: Admitted participants will make a second payment of 300,00 Euros until Friday, July 7, 2017. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- Cancellation Policy: In case of cancellation after Friday, July 7, 2017 the tuition fee will not be refunded. Cancellation will only be accepted in case of severe illness of the participant (need of written medical report).
- Payment Method: In case of being admitted, we accept payments by
- by bank transfer or credit card to the account number that we will provide you per e-mail.
- by PayPal, with an increase that will be communicated per e-mail.
- We do not accept bank charges. Please ensure the full amount of the tuition fee reaches us.
We recommend foreign participants to obtain a medical insurance.
Calendar II International Workshop of Scenography
Friday, May 12, 2017: End of applications for registration
Friday, May 26, 2017: End of first call: Communication to participants admitted, not admitted and on waiting list
Friday, June 9, 2017: End of first non-refundable payment of 300,00 Euros for admitted participants
Friday, June 9, 2017: End of second call: Communication to participants admitted from waiting list
Friday, June 23, 2017: End of first non-refundable payment of 300,00 Euros for admitted participants from waiting list
Friday, July 7, 2017: End of second payment de 500,00 Euros
Tuesday, August 8, 2017: Start of workshop
Friday, August 18, 2017: End of workshop
Director of the Workshop of Scenography
Among his most representatives scenographies for theatre it is worth remarking: La casa de Bernarda Alba (1998), Bodas de sangre (2001), La Celestina (2004), Peer Gynt (2006), Los Persas, réquiem por un soldado (2007), Tirant lo Blanc (2007), La casa dels cors trencats (2009), Nit de reis (2010), Afinidades electivas (2011), Flames a la fosca (2013) and Ensam (2015).
His work for opera let him work at opera theaters such as Gran Teatre del Liceu, Teatro Real, English National Opera, Teatro alla Scala, Komische Oper, La Monnaie, Sydney Opera House, Theater Basel, Opéra de Lyon, Oper Frankfurt, Staatsoper Stuttgart and De Nederlandse Opera. Among his most representative opera sets it is worth remarking: Carmen (1999 y 2011), Un Ballo in Maschera (2000, 2010 y 2013), Don Giovanni (2002), Manon (2003), Die Entführung aus dem Serail (2004), Wozzeck (2005 y 2009), La Fanciulla del West (2007), Le Grand Macabre (2009), Mahagonny (2010), Adriana Lecouvreur (2010), Król Roger (2011), Quarttet (2011), Oedipe (2011), Le Duc d’Albe (2012), Erwartung / Il prigioniero (2013), Madama Butterfly (2014), Faust (2014), Daphne (2014), El holandés errante (2014), Pelléas et Mélisande (2015), L’elisir d’amore (2015), Il Trovatore (2015) and Don Carlo (2016).
Currently he is preparing the operas Norma (London), La Bohème (Turin), Alceste (Lyon), Jeanne d’Arc (Frankfurt) and Madama Butterfly (Düsseldorf), the new musical Scaramouche (Barcelona) and a large-scale open air show (Beijing).
His works for big events and urban spaces let him take part in the Milennium’s Final Celebration at Santiago de Compostela, in the opening show of the Universal Forum of Cultures-Barcelona 2004, in the opening show of the International Exhibition Zaragoza 2008, in the show performanced at the Universal Exhibition in Shanghai 2010 named The Window of the City and the installation at the station Onze de Setembre of Barcelona’s Underground. His work has been awarded with the Barcelonian Critics Theater Prize in 1996, 1998 and 2009. In 2000 he received the Irish Times Theater Award to the best scenography for Las Comedias Bárbaras. He has been the director of the 1st International Workshop of Scenography.
Teacher of the workshop of Scenography
Carles Berga (Barcelona, 1978) holds a degree of Architecture from the Ramon Llull University of Barcelona. He started his professional activity in 2004 combining architecture and sceography. Since 2005 he collaborates with different artists like Alfons Flores, Lluís Danés, Franc Aleu, Valentina Carrasco, among others, creating scenegraphies for opera, theatre and big events. In recent years, he has designed scenographies for the Opera di Roma, the Opéra de Lyon, the Opéra National du Rhin and the Teatro Colón of Buenos Aires. He has been assistant to the director of the 1st International Workshop of Scenography.
Coordinator of the Workshop of Scenography