V International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography
From August 7 to 18, 2017
Director: Hisao Suzuki
Teaching Staff Jùlia de Balle, Alba Domènech
The Summer Workshop is born of a way of understanding Architecture and Landscape from a humanistic spirit. The coexistence in a space and time of different creative disciplines creates synergies for mutual enrichment between the parties.
The workshop is designed following four main ideas that articulate the program:
- Competition Format: Closed exercises that condense a complex process within a specific time frame
- Transversality: An integrative interdisciplinary approach
- Sharing: Shared creativity fostering the capacity for dialogue
- Experience: Understanding derived from observation, participation and experience
Creativity must be at the origin of the concept, present at the initial moment where we give answer to the question we are asked, and should be shared by all the participants, being the common thread of the process. Everything results from creativity.
The workshop has the aim of broadening knowledge of audiovisual and photography, centered in Architecture and Space. The course develops from the approach to the territory and architecture of RCR and combines reflection on Visual Arts and its implementation in practice through a creative work. The exercises are raised around the awakening of the senses, stimulating the creation of images that make us experience wanting to touch, listen and be in this specific place.
The Program consists in
- Creative Atelier. The workshop offers an approach to photography directed by Hisao Suzuki and the introduction to audiovisual language guided by Júlia de Balle. The Creative Atelier includes intern lectures, weekly reviews by RCR Arquitectes, and the optional participation in a module of the Dance Program for exploring the relation between body and space.
- Open Program. An exhibition, a cycle of conferences and parallel activities, open to the public.
- Site visits. Visits to constructed work by RCR Arquitectes.
- Creative Atelier, from Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Open Program, from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Site visits, Saturday, August 5 and 12, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Teaching Load: 98,5 hours.
- Creative Atelier, 85h.
- Open Program, 9h.
- Site visits, 4,5h.
The workshop will take place in the Barberí Space, Calle Fontanella 26, 17800 Olot (Girona), Spain. The space is conditioned to develop the course.
Spanish is the common language. We recommend a basic knowledge of Spanish.
English is the second official language of the Summer Workshop. Those participating without knowledge of the Spanish will receive assistance during the Creative Atelier and the site visits. Consecutive interpreting of conferences is foreseen for the Open Program.
Participants of the V International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography will receive a certificate issued by RCR BUNKA Fundació Privada.
Requirements for your application to be considered:
- Profile: The workshop is aimed at persons over the age of 18 years from all creative areas.
- Computer skills: Recommended: Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro.
- Online form: Submission of the online form with all details of the candidate.
- Portfolio: Online submission of the portfolio including curriculum information in pdf format (max. 3 MB), with the file named as follows: portfolio-name-surname1-surname2.pdf.
- Full documentation: Applications that do not provide all the requested documentation will be excluded from the selection process.
- Admission: The submission of the application form does not guarantee the direct entry to the program. All candidates will be part of the selection process.
Applications for registration: until Friday, May 12, 2017
- Selection criteria: for the selection of participants will be considered the information on the online form and the portfolio.
- Selection of participants:
- First Call: until Friday, May 26, 2017. Communication to participants admitted, not admitted and on waiting list.
- Second Call: until Friday, June 9, 2017. Communication to participants on waiting list.
- Communications: All communications will be via e-mail.
Tuition Fee of 475 Euros.
The amount of the tuition fee is possible thanks to the collaboration of different public and private institutions, and companies, and is therefore subsidised.
- Tuition Fee: The tuition fee amounts to a total of 475,00 Euros, and
- includes the participation in the creative atelier, the access to the Open Program and the site visits. It includes also a civil responsibility insurance, transportation to the site visit and a party at the end of the Summer Workshop.
- does not include accommodation and maintenance of the participants. The participants will have to bring their own laptop and photo camara.
- First payment:
- Participants admitted in the first call will make a first non-refundable payment of 175,00 Euros until Friday, June 9, 2017.
- Participants on waiting list admitted in the second call will make a first non-refundable payment of 175,00 Euros until Friday, June 23, 2017.
Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- Second payment: Admitted participants will make a second payment of 300,00 Euros until Friday, July 7, 2017. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- Cancellation Policy: In case of cancellation after Friday, July 7, 2017 the tuition fee will not be refunded. Cancellation will only be accepted in case of severe illness of the participant (need of written medical report).
- Payment Method: In case of being admitted, we accept payments by
- by bank transfer or credit card to the account number that we will provide you per e-mail.
- by PayPal, with an increase that will be communicated per e-mail.
- We do not accept bank charges. Please ensure the full amount of the tuition fee reaches us.
We recommend foreign participants to obtain a medical insurance.
Calendar V International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography
Friday, May 12, 2017: End of applications for registration
Friday, May 26, 2017: End of first call: Communication to participants admitted, not admitted and on waiting list
Friday, June 9, 2017: End of first non-refundable payment of 300,00 Euros for admitted participants
Friday, June 9, 2017: End of second call: Communication to participants admitted from waiting list
Friday, June 23, 2017: End of first non-refundable payment of 300,00 Euros for admitted participants from waiting list
Friday, July 7, 2017: End of second payment de 500,00 Euros
Monday, August 7, 2017: Start of workshop
Friday, August 18, 2017: End of workshop
The lectures are talks given by high-level specialists with extensive experience in their field that delve into issues that are worked on during the workshop.
PhD in Audiovisual Communication
Lecture The Secuential Narrative in the Audiovisual
Architecture Photographer, Director of Nature Urban Architecture Art (nuaa)
Director of the Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography
Hisao Suzuki (Yamagata, 1957) is a Japanese photographer who lives in Barcelona for more than 30 years. He studied photography at the Tokyo College of Photography (Tokyo Sougo Shashin Gakko) and starts his carreer with the photographer Tohru Minowa, specialized in gastronomy. His relationship with Barcelona and his interest in architecture are intimately linked with the work of Antoni Gaudí. An exhibition of the prestigious photographer Eiko Hosoe on Gaudi in the Yokohama City Hall in 1978 triggers him to explore Catalan Modernism and, subsequently, contemporary architecture through the collaboration with the Japanese architect Arata Isozaki, author of the Palau Sant Jordi for the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, documenting the process of construction of the Sports Palace.
Since 1993 he collaborates with the architectural journal “El Croquis”, becoming their principal photographer and contributing significantly to the recognition of the magazine as one of the most prestigious and international publications on contemporary architecture.
Within the Visual Arts, Photography differs from other disciplines by its relationship to reality, a concrete fact, the existence of a model. The look of Suzuki to architecture derives from the visions created by Eiko Hosoe on Gaudí towards a reflection on space. Space as three-dimensional fact involves an intrinsic complexity since the format of the picture is an image in two dimensions. Hence, the interpretation of a work of architecture by a photographer is decisive. In the antipodes are a look that wants to reflect with great fidelity the architectural space and its environment, and its opposite, the personal interpretation of details that enhance a particular vision. The photographic work of Hisao Suzuki represents the position of the faithful and thoroughly documented testimony of reality. He is Director of the Workshop since the first edition.
Júlia de Balle
Viual Communication Expert, Founder of BroadcardFilms
Teacher of the Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography
Visual Communication Expert
Assistant of the Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography
The V International Workshop of Audiovisual and Photography calendar could be updated.